Fashion Week

Posted by Administator - -


Fashion Week




Of course, you already knew Fashion Week had plenty of tall girls on the runway in the form of all the gorgeous models. But Fashion Week also has tall women behind the scenes like designer L'Wren Scott (who is 6' 4" and makes stunning clothes.) And then there are the tall celebrities who walked the runway for the Heart Truth fashion show to promote heart health awareness.

It might seem like every fashion trend is made with a tall woman in mind, but there really are some looks that just won't work for the taller woman and contributing writer Laura Williams has th

                                                            

Can I let you in on a little fashion biz secret? Although things like new silhouettes and lengths will spur on shopping binges, nothing really brings out the shoppers like color. As in this season's pink and next fall's bright blue (which we're seeing during Fashion Week.) Sure, there are lots of prints and even neutrals all over the runway. But there's plenty of glorious bright blue, which is a color that looks great on almost anybody.

What I've been looking for on the red carpet so far this year are some new ideas about what's modern to share with you. So who nailed it at the SAG Awards? Definitely Mila Kunis in that strapless red Alexander McQueen (that had a similar print to Michelle Obama's dress.) She wore it belted (which was a big trend on the red carpet) with long, loose curls. Modern ease: love it.
It was a six-minute ride from the Mayfair Hotel to the Mulberry show this morning, and yet when I arrived, I found myself in some enchanted woods. Flowering vines caught in my hair, which perhaps I should’ve brushed. The red and white speckled mushrooms indigenous to all Disney movies—you know the ones—popped up under my feet. Bright-eyed, bushy-tailed waiters offered cupcakes decorated to match.

Day two is over and I’ve got that Blur song in my head. No, the other Blur song. You know: “girls who like boys who like boys who like girls…”
That’s because London boyswear darling J.W. Anderson is doing girlswear now, and London girlswear darling Jonathan Saunders just debuted boyswear. It’s all very confusing and probably illegal in Arizona.


If last night was about the British sort of celebrity, today was about my sort: true fashion characters. Front row at Charles Anastase this morning (a properly wet one, I might add) was Charlotte Dellal, exquisite shoe designer and Titian titan of society, her waves unruffled by the rain. Scott “The Sartorialist” Schuman appeared to be sans Garance for the first five minutes of their entire romantic history (she must have been in the bathroom). And I walked smack into Alexa Chung, but it’s not my fault… she was standing sideways!

This happens a lot at London Fashion Week: you’re finding your seat, minding your business, and bam! Lightning! Or just a hundred flashbulbs going off at once, a row away. You look. You crane. You wonder who this magnetic presence in A1 could be? At last the photogs scatter and you see… no one. The celeb has vanished and in his or her place is someone very thin, very brightly made-up, and totally unrecognizable.
At least to me. To Brits, the pap-target is not “no one,” though it’s very likely that they were nobody last year and will be nobody again next fashion week. British celebrity is a weird and mercurial thing: it gets lost in translation. And that’s why I can’t tell you who was front row at PPQ—famous for its famous fans—last night.
“It’s fashion week here?” says the taxi man, pulling away from Paddington Station. “That’s good.” For the cabbing business? Of course. Fashion week heels and London cobblestones don’t mix.
Luckily I’ve got razor-grips on my Camilla Skovgaards, which have already been photographed, in early Jak & Jil style, more times than my face. Er, I won’t take it personally. After all, I took the red-eye quite literally; if I were any more bloodshot I’d be Charlie Sheen. Crimson was the colour du jour at Jean-Pierre Braganza, too. The Ryerson grad and ex-Montrealer is one of my favourite Canadian expats, and that’s saying a lot, because there were loads of them here by my last count. Homeboy has got a wicked way with tailoring, envelope-folding, laser-cutting… even the LBD is interesting in his hands.

We asked some of Canada’s finest fashion week exports, Jeremy Laing, Mark Fast and Calla Haynes, to give us the scoop on what they’ve got planned for the upcoming season in New York, London and Paris.

Judging from the swinging, statement-making earrings at Oscar de la Renta’s fall 2011 show, jewellery is back in a big way (cue the Hallelujah chorus).  From Karlie’s ‘40s-inspired beaded tassels to Carmen’s gunmetal and ruby crystals, shoulder duster earrings have swept back onto the style scene this season. Watch for these movers-and-shakers to make a red-carpet appearance at the upcoming Academy Awards.

Leave a Reply